Thursday, February 07, 2013

Meditation: On Acceptance

This is the first in what I hope will be a series of meditations, to be posted when inspiration strikes. I might not do too many of them, since others have spoken much more eloquently and in more edifying ways than what I could possibly have to say.


During a recent sacrament of reconciliation (confession, for non-Catholic readers) I confessed how critical I felt toward others. I admitted that it is a character flaw I wish I could change. The priest suggested that I light a candle and focus on that flickering light for five minutes or longer. In that time, I should imagine that the candlelight is God's love reaching and enveloping me, warming me, accepting me as I am, right at that moment. I should use the candlelight to create a clearing in which I could dwell without judging myself.

The priest's belief was that if I could accept myself more easily, then I could more freely extend that acceptance to others. The theory sounded good, and I gave it a try.

The first time I tried this meditation I did not enjoy it too much. Keep in mind that before giving it up, I'd practiced yoga for 15 years, so I'm quite familiar with meditation and meditation techniques. In fact, as the priest described this meditation I was already relating it to the Opening Heart chakra that I'd once practiced.

So, I lit my candle and focused on sensing God's love and on His accepting who I was. Within seconds I began to think about my faults, and how unworthy I was to receive this Divine love and acceptance. I soon became aware of my wayward self-defeating thoughts and re-focused them not on me, but on God accepting me, with all my faults. I admit that my mind kept coming up with reasons as to why I wasn't worthy of God's acceptance, and I kept having to return to the initial aim of the exercise, of feeling acceptance, reminding myself that this was not the time for an examination of conscience.

It wasn't easy. But it was a great first step. I now practice this meditation every day, and will continue to do so until I feel that I am less critical, and more accepting, of others.

It's important to recognize that as much as I would like to be accepted for who I am, that others shouldn't judge me too quickly or harshly, that I haven't walked a mile in anyone else's shoes, I should consider extending to others the same... courtesy? attitude? judgement?

Of course, the real litmus test of this meditation will be my acceptance of tailgaters as I drive. I think I've got a long way to go before that will happen... :-)

~JT~

2 comments:

  1. Even the Buddha had to contend with the tailgaters of his time. Never as easy as with celestial beings.

    www.simple-truth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jeff, for the insightful observation. You're right, we all have to contend with our own personal tailgaters. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets