Sunday, September 08, 2013

Review: Real Men Pray the Rosary: A Practical Guide to a Powerful Prayer


Real Men Pray the Rosary: A Practical Guide to a Powerful Prayer
Real Men Pray the Rosary: A Practical Guide to a Powerful Prayer by David N Calvillo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This introductory book to praying the Rosary was given to me by a friend who wasn't aware that as an auxiliary member of the Legion of Mary I've been praying the Rosary daily for years. Even though I question religious groups that seem to distinguish between male and female-centered prayers, I was able to draw some useful information from the included readings.

The premise of Real Men Pray the Rosary (both the spiritual movement and the book) is that since many men think the Rosary is a "woman's prayer", presumably because the petitions are addressed to Mary, they ignore, or are ignorant of, its spiritual power. Again, I disagree with that basic premise, but it isn't as if I've discussed this issue with many men. So, Calvillo might be right.

Be that as it may, in RMPTR Calvillo explains what the Rosary is, and why everyone, men and women, should pray it. Each chapter also includes a Toolbox (spiritual exercises) that introduce the Rosary to someone who may find praying it daunting. And Calvillo also includes practical activities that men can introduce into their domestic life to involve the rest of the family in praying the Rosary.

I highly recommend Real Men Pray the Rosary for anyone curious about, or interested in, learning to pray this devotional prayer.

I would also recommend following RMPTR on Facebook.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. JT,

    A very sympathetic and inviting article, which should appeal very much to those who wish to add to basic daily prayers, of both men and women. I personally have interesting memories of the Rosary, from school days and life in Irish country homes, when the rosary was shared by all family members.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eileen. I think many people are put off by the repetition of the prayers in the Rosary, but that is the source of its transformative power; to pray a decade of Hail Marys while meditating on the Mysteries that outline the major events of Jesus' life brings a rich dimension to one's life of prayer.
    Thank you for stopping by and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets