Monday, October 07, 2013

Review: The Sentimentalists


The Sentimentalists
The Sentimentalists by Johanna Skibsrud

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I enjoyed reading The Sentimentalists. Although I have never read any of Johanna Skibsrud's poetry, her understanding of language as she explores her characters' motivations, beliefs and memories proves to be quite sensitive and creative.

The Sentimentalists clearly deserved to be the 2010 Giller Prize winner. I knew nothing about the novel before picking it up, other than it went out of print within days of being awarded the Giller Prize, and I have been waiting for a chance to read it since it won. Had I known what literary treasure I was missing out on, I would have moved this short novel up to the top of my To Be Read list much sooner!

Readers who enjoy stories within stories, characters trying to uncover the truth of memories and beliefs (their own and other characters') then The Sentimentalists should be a satisfying read.

I have added Johanna Skibsrud's name to my list of authors to read, and I cannot wait for her next novel.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets