Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Other Marys

If I had any regular readers I would ask them at this point to indulge me in something I try to avoid doing: speculative theology.

My question is: were there any other Marys, i.e., other women immaculately conceived and prepared by God the Father to give birth to Our Lord Jesus Christ before Mary, wife of Joseph, gave her fiat and conceived of the Holy Spirit?

It's possible, is it not, that other virtuous and immaculate women were asked bear God's child and, faced with the burden of what was to come to Him and her sorrows, did not have the faith or courage or whatever might have been lacking to give their fiat. Not that this would make them bad women, just that it was not meant to be for them to give birth to Jesus at that time, in that place.

I'm not looking to cast doubt or aspersions on our holy Queen Mother and her providential role in salvation history, I am merely speculating on the possibility that other women were asked to fulfill this role and did not do it. Christian history would have forgotten them in time, in favor of celebrating Mary's freely given Ave.

Is there any Biblical text reference that would support the claim that Mary was the only woman in history to have ever been asked to do this? I can't think of any, but if a reader knows, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets