Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: Lumen Fidei: Enciclica sulla Fede


Lumen Fidei: Enciclica sulla Fede
Lumen Fidei: Enciclica sulla Fede by Pope Francis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is the first encyclical that I've ever read. I found it (surprisingly) easily accessible and I look forward to reading previous ones.

I thought the work was well written and both Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI and Pope Francis had much to say about faith - Lumen Fidei meaning the Light of Faith. The text addresses most of the current challenges facing the Church: the arguments against Nihilism, relativism, homosexual unions, etc. were presented in an easy-to-follow dialectical fashion.

I especially liked the chapter where Jesus is understood as the synthesis of Hearing the Word and Seeing the Word.

I strongly recommend the encyclical to anyone who is interested in what the modern Catholic Church is concerned with, and why the Magisterium (the teaching authority of the Church) responds the way it does to current events, while claiming (correctly) that it is acting out of love.

And, of course, the encyclical should be required reading for all Catholics!

Interested readers can get complete text by following the link on My Reading List - Religious Texts page.

~JT~



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets